Monday, December 4, 2017

Lint in Literature: A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

My book club recently picked this book, A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, for our January book. Since I read like a turtle (well, I'm not sure turtles actually read but I read slow, like a turtle moves), I decided to start reading it now. 

I'm about done, only about 200 pages to go. I'm reading the large print version so it's over 700 pages! But it's so worth it! This book is wonderful! The author is a fabulous writer, the story is unique and compelling, and it's gentle and soothing to read.


Basically, I love it!

Here is the excerpt that contained lint:


Yes, generally speaking such a remark falling from the lips of a statesman should be swept from the floor with the dust and the lint. But when it fell from the lips of Soso, one had good reason to lend it credence.


I've also learned from reading this book that Soso is a childhood nickname of Stalin. That's just one of the hundreds (thousands?) of tidbits you'll pick up. Of course I don't retain such stuff but it's a fascinating historical look at Russia and our world from the early twentieth century through the 1950s (I think, I'm not done yet).


Check out A Gentleman in Moscow if the real world is driving you crazy. This book is a balm against the daily bullshit.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Earn Money Searching Online